Just because we’ve seen our first snow (?!) of the season doesn’t mean that we have to hibernate until spring. Sure, sometimes hunkering down during a storm is the best … but we challenge you year-round Cape Codders to fight the winter doldrums by getting out there and experiencing your local in a whole new way.
In this issue:
With seven businesses among the three of us, including LoveLiveLocal, we are huge proponents of striking out on your own. Entrepreneurial life is full of joys and dilemmas, achievements and failures, and the best rewards. Startup Weekend Cape Cod is an awesome way to kickstart that business idea you haven’t quite gotten off the ground – read more below.
Holidays are not for everyone. For those who prefer to spend Thanksgiving in solitude, are away from family this year, or simply don’t feel like fussing over the traditional fixings, we have a few ideas about Turkey Day alternatives.
LoveLiveLocal followers know that we’re obsessed with supporting local musicians and the establishments that host them, especially as the winter nears. One of our top off-season activities is hitting the local open mic nights, where new artists test out their songs and the more experienced ones experiment.
We Love knowing our farmer – and an opportunity to shop local. To Live on Cape Cod means to experience the best of “Ocean to Table” dining. And when time and funds are short, a Local stay-cation renews us just enough. Read on for all the details on these stories!
what’s up + where to get down
• Shape the local you want to live in: VOTE! Check your town’s website for poll info. (11.4)
• Explore Art in the 21st Century through film and discussion with local contemporary artists at the Cape Cod Museum of Art. (11.7, 11.21)
• Don’t miss the inspiring 4th Annual Houston Memorial 5k Run/Walk. (11.8)
• Kids and adults will love Great White Shark Research 101 at the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, led by the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy and OCEARCH marine biologist Dr. Heather Marshall. (11.8)
• Shape Your Own Paddleboard at the Cape Cod Maritime Museum with renowned local surfer and board shaper Shawn Vecchione. (11.8)
• Catch a film (Whiplash, 11.14-26) or a performance by the National Theatre (Of Mice and Men, 11.26) or the Metropolitan Opera (Barber of Seville, 11.22) at the iconic Cape Cinema!
• Vinegrass Music Festival presents local bluegrass favorites Riley Coyote at O’Shea’s Olde Inne in Yarmouth – grab a pint and get down at this cozy year-round spot. (11.15)
• Mark your calendar for all your local shopping at LoveLocal Fest: Holiday Edition at Cape Cod Beer! (12.7)
Incubating Homegrown Ideas
Startup Weekend Cape Cod: Nov 14-16 Ever wondered what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Startup Weekend Cape Cod is an amazing way to learn the basics of found a successful venture. A “global grassroots movement,” Startup Weekend holds events in over 100 countries and 580 cities around the world. Through the workshops, budding entrepreneurs practice their […]
Open Mic Night!
The Cape’s local music scene is diverse and thriving. We have been thrilled to highlight some of the incredible talent through ‘LoveLISTENLocal,’ highlighting musicians at our LoveLocal Fests and the Singer Spotlight Series at the Hyannis Harbor Artist Shanties as well as promoting and supporting live music throughout the year. Many of our ‘LoveLISTENLocal’ partners […]
Some people believe that the Wampanoag Tribe – the Native American Tribe indigenous to Cape Cod – was the first to celebrate what we refer to as Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims in 1621. But according to tribal elders, the Wampanoags had a tradition of giving thanks every day for all the bounty they were given. […]